[tei-council] Re: figurin' about <figure>

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 25 12:11:15 EDT 2007

Syd Bauman wrote:

> Do you mean the one at
> http://listserv.brown.edu/?A2=ind0606&L=TEI-L&P=R7213?
> That looks like you were interested in dealing with a whole image and
> some fragments thereof. Lou, does that match what you're talking
> about?

the markup matches what *I* think nested figures are for,
but your words don't. The use is to describe a figure
which contains (eg) two graphs captioned "(a) Before Harry
Potter" and "(b) After Harry Potter", and an overall
caption saying "Instances of black magic games amongst pre-teens".

that model is very common indeed in scientific journals etc.