[tei-council] Re: figurin' about <figure>

Arianna Ciula arianna.ciula at kcl.ac.uk
Wed Jul 25 05:58:56 EDT 2007

Lou Burnard wrote:

>> I also thought it might be prudent to take advantage of the use of
>> classes, and use <ab> where the semantics of <p> aren't really right.
>> However, I can't really tell *what* the <p> in one of our examples
>> is: "<p>Thou shalt labor till thou returne to duste</p>" in the
>> tagdoc for <titlePage>. Can you shed some light?
>>

> I agree that <ab> might be more appropriate than <p> for random biyts of
> texts floating about inside an image.

Agree

>> In any case, I think both in the prose and in an example we should
>> recommend using <ab type="caption"> for a caption. After all,
>> depending on your defintion of "paragraph", a caption isn't one.
>> (Might think of using <label> for captions, I suppose.)
>>

> Not sure what the difference between a caption and a head is within a
> figure

An image may have its own <head> in the source that doesn't necessarily
correspond with what we call a caption (more descriptive). However, do
we need an <ab type="caption> or could <figDesc> take that role?

>> Lastly, if we permit <figure> to self-nest, we should probably say
>> somewhere what that is for, and perhaps give an example of its use.
>> Is there a good use case for permitting it to self-nest anywhere, or
>> would it be OK to stick it in at the end?
>
> I thought there was an example of this: it's for things like complex
> figures with subfigures in them.

I think I had given a very abstract example in TEI L long time ago, but
I suspect we need something more concrete.

Arianna