[tei-council] rdg content model

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Mon Jul 23 18:20:18 EDT 2007

Here is a link to my proposal for expanding the content model for
rdg/lem:
http://people.uleth.ca/~daniel.odonnell/Research/a-proposal-for-including-chunk-inter-and-div-level-children-of-teirdg-and-tei-lemma

The proposal is very straightforward: add the ability for chunk, div,
and text level elements to appear as children of rdg. I've provided
examples of each from the apparatus to the Riverside Chaucer, since
there was some doubt that such collations actually existed.

Given that we allowed inter-level children of rdg already, I don't see
how chunk-level elements could be controversial. div and floatingText
might seem more so, but use cases are simply not hard to find.

Finally I make a smaller suggestion that since, as has been pointed out
here, lem and rdg are extremely similar, we should put lem in
model.rdgLike. It is not at all clear to me why we so emphatically
exclude it (we mention this exclusion in the narrative).

-dan
--
Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Director, Digital Medievalist Project http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/