[tei-council] facsimile odd -- what is a facsimile?

Arianna Ciula arianna.ciula at kcl.ac.uk
Mon Jul 23 11:04:48 EDT 2007

Lou Burnard wrote:
> In fact, it seems to me the relationship between a transcription of a
> source and the original is almost identical to the relationship between
> a facsimile of it and the original. One translates a reading letter by
> letter, and the other translates a reading dot by dot, but they are both
> readings and as such I would like to give them the same ontological
> standing in my encoding.

I fully agree with this and therefore with the proposal of having a
no-mainly-textual representation encoded as the equivalent of <text>
rather than metadata, since the tei header will be useful to encode the
description of this image-based representation instead.
I am not sure <facsimile> is the best term, but can't suggest anything
better to represent a more general 'material' alternative to a textual
edition.

Arianna