[tei-council] facsimile odd -- what is a facsimile?

Dot Porter dporter at uky.edu
Mon Jul 23 07:50:30 EDT 2007

Lou, I have no objection either. In fact, following a brief phone
conversation with Syd over the weekend, I would like to publicly
acknowledge the error of my ways and support the proposal to add a new
<facsimile> (or whatever we call it) element that is roughly parallel
to text.

If you have a look at the Draft Recommendations for TEI Facsimiles
(authored by Richard Gartner and Lou back in the Dark Age of 2001, and
summarized on the Legacy Facsimile Markup wiki page:
http://www.tei-c.org.uk/wiki/index.php/LegacyFacsimileMarkup#Draft_Recommendations_for_TEI_Digital_Facsimiles),
the <facsimile> proposal is roughly equivalent to part of that
previous recommendation (which proposes using separate TEI elements
instead of creating a new element).

Dot

On 7/23/07, James Cummings
<James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> wrote:
> Lou Burnard wrote:
>

> > If we are going to have markup which describes the page images
> > themselves, as digital objects, then the set of page images constituting
> > a work isa kind of "text" itself and should be treated as such. In
> > short: my proposal is
> > a) add a new element <facsimile> (or better word if we can think of one)
> > b) change the content model of <TEI> and of <group> to permit
> > (text|facsimile) where they currently permit <text>
> >
> > Note that I am not proposing a class model.textLike because I cannot
> > think of any other kind of thing that might go in there -- I'd suggest
> > that talking books, if we want to digitize them, are another form of
> > facsimile.
>
> For the record I have no strong objections to this method.  I've been
> thinking of facsimile images as a form of tei:surrogates, and we should
> document how tei:surrogates (which is a metadata element) relates to the
> content of your proposed tei:facsimile
>
> -James
>
> --
> Dr James Cummings, Oxford Text Archive, University of Oxford
> James dot Cummings at oucs dot ox dot ac dot uk

Dot Porter, University of Kentucky
#####
Program Coordinator
Collaboratory for Research in Computing for Humanities
dporter at uky.edu          859-257-9549
#####
Editorial Assistant, REVEAL Project
Center for Visualization and Virtual Environments
porter at vis.uky.edu