[tei-council] divWrapping: summary and question

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 18 05:21:53 EDT 2007

Syd Bauman wrote:
> Should we have
>
> a) the common elements in divWrapper, divWrapper as part of divTop
>    and divBot, thus content models refer to divTop or divBot; or
>
> b) the common elements in divWrapper, but divWrapper is not a member
>    of divTop and divBot, thus content models refer to both divTop and
>    divWrapper, or both divBot and divWrapper?

I can see the attractiveness of solution b, but recognise that solution a
is a lot simpler.  I have a solution-a-based extension I'd like to call
solution C. Couldn't one get around this lack of ability to refer to the
non-divWrapper members of divTop by adding a third class?  i.e. divTopPart
So it becomes something like:

model.divWrapper = argument byline dateline docAuthor docDate
model.divTop     = model.divWrapper model.divTopPart
model.divTopPart = head opener salute epigraph
model.divBottom  = model.divWrapper model.divBottomPart
model.divBottomPart = closed signed trailer ps

So the content models remain model.divTop* and model.divBottom* but you are
still able to refer to model.divTopPart or model.divBottomPart individually
should you ever need to.  I recognise that this bit of indirection is
messy, but it keeps the content model simple but allows you to refer to the
 head/opener/etc. elements without referring to argument/byline/etc.

Or have I missed something in my wanton abuse of the class system?
-James