[tei-council] divWrapping: summary and question

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Tue Jul 17 15:46:04 EDT 2007

Does option b have a particularly onerous cost? And under what
circumstances would we refer to top and bottom separately?

-dan

On Tue, 2007-07-17 at 14:40 -0400, John A. Walsh wrote:
> Syd,
>
> I understand the issue, and I prefer option A, which allows for
> cleaner and more elegant content models.  I don't see a compelling
> need to refer to head, opener, salute, epigraph separately from the
> other elements with which they would be grouped in divTop.
>
> John
> --
> | John A. Walsh
> | Assistant Professor, School of Library and Information Science
> | Indiana University, 1320 East Tenth Street, Bloomington, IN 47405
> | www: <http://www.slis.indiana.edu/faculty/jawalsh/>
> | Voice:812-856-0707 Fax:812-856-2062 <mailto:jawalsh at indiana.edu>
>

> On Jul 17, 2007, at 2:19 PM, Syd Bauman wrote:
>
> > For those of you for whom it is not obvious why divWrapping is
> > currently broken, and who do not remember why from the thread here
> > back in April or from the Berlin meeting, I will post a description
> > of the main problems "divWrapping: problem description" in a few
> > seconds.
> >
> > This post is a summary of the divWrapping issue for <div>, <divN>,
> > for input from Council and how to fix divWrapping.
> >
> > Summary of Problems
> > ------- -- --------
> >
> > * In a <div>, things that should not be allowed in the div-bottom
> >   area are (in particular <head> and <opener>)
> >
> > * <body> has the reverse problem, that none of the divWrapper
> >   elements are allowed near the bottom
> >

> > Possible Solutions
> > -------- ---------
> >
> > Back in April I outlined two possible fixes to the class system,
> > implicitly asking which was better. IIRC only 1 person even appeared
> > to express a preference either way, and it wasn't clear that he (CW)
> > was talking about a specific solution or the problem in general.
> >
> > So, here is the question again in summary, and then in detail. Note
> > that for purposes of this discussion, I've used shorthand names in
> > the summary question.
> >
> > Should we have
> >
> > a) the common elements in divWrapper, divWrapper as part of divTop
> >    and divBot, thus content models refer to divTop or divBot; or
> >
> > b) the common elements in divWrapper, but divWrapper is not a member
> >    of divTop and divBot, thus content models refer to both divTop and
> >    divWrapper, or both divBot and divWrapper?
> >

> > The following describes scenarios a & b more verbosely, and perhaps
> > more clearly.
> >
> > --------- (a) ---------
> > model.divWrapper = argument byline dateline docAuthor docDate
> > model.divTop     = model.divWrapper head opener salute epigraph
> > model.divBottom  = model.divWrapper closed signed trailer ps
> >
> > Content models have things like
> >       model.divTop*
> > and
> >       model.divBottom*
> >
> > We have no way to refer to the set of elements head, opener, etc.
> > alone, without also referring to argument, byline, etc.
> >
> > --------- (b) ---------
> [...]
Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Department Chair and Associate Professor of English
Director, Digital Medievalist Project http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/
Chair, Text Encoding Initiative http://www.tei-c.org/

Department of English
University of Lethbridge