[tei-council] Fwd: Facsimile meeting, 6/20

Dot Porter dporter at uky.edu
Tue Jul 17 08:20:44 EDT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Martin Holmes <mholmes at uvic.ca>
Date: Jun 21, 2007 1:10 PM
Subject: Re: Facsimile meeting, 6/20
To: Dot Porter <dporter at uky.edu>
Cc: Syd Bauman <Syd_Bauman at brown.edu>, Conal Tuohy <conal.tuohy at gmail.com>

Hi all,

This is really clear -- thanks indeed. On reflection, I like the idea of
mapping FROM the <sourceMedia> element TO the document element (<pb />
etc.) best, because it would allow multiple images/media to be
associated with the same document element. So you might have this in the
header:

<sourceMedia type="hi-res" corresp="#page_5">
        <graphic url="Bodley340_157r_hi.jpg" />
</sourceMedia>

<sourceMedia type="low-res" corresp="#page_5">
        <graphic url="Bodley340_157r_lo.jpg" />
</sourceMedia>

with this in the text:

<pb xml:id="page_5" />

so that the same page element can be associated with different
resolutions of graphic. Also, you could then have this:

<sourceMedia type="hi-res" corresp="#page_5_col_1">
        <graphic url="Bodley340_157r_hi.jpg" coords="10, 20, 1000, 500" />
</sourceMedia>

and in the text:

<cb xml:id="page_5_col_1" />

where the column can be associated with a segment of the page image.
This seems to me to give us complete flexibility in associating any part
of any image with any element on the page, and letting the rendering
process determine the best image to use for a particular context based
on all the options available. We also discussed putting an optional
mimeType attribute on sourceMedia, so that if you want to make it clear
that the file is (say) a QuickTime movie, you can do so.

I think it's important that this be a generally applicable system (any
appropriate element in the text, any type of media file) rather than
specific (images and codex pages) because lots of real-life projects are
not constrained to pages (e.g. the Graves diary, which has enclosures of
postcards, bullfight tickets, telegrams etc.).

--
Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)
martin at mholmes.com