[tei-council] Guidelines Formatting Status Update

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jul 16 18:45:14 EDT 2007

Christian Wittern writes:
 > I wonder if you could give us an update on the status of the layout work for
 > the Guidelines?  Work done so far, work expected, schedule and main issues
 > would be what I would like to see covered.

Work done so far:

- So far the work has been almost entirely on Sebastian's part.  He has solved
many of the straightforward bugs, and some more complicated new additions (such
as being able to toggle between RNG/RNC in schema fragments). See
http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/P5/Guidelines-web/en/html/
- We solicited and added suggestions for changes to the guidelines the TEI wiki
and have been thinking about some of the other issues. See
http://www.tei-c.org.uk/wiki/index.php/GuidelinesFormattingSuggestions

Work expected:
- We will address all the concerns expressed in the wiki page, either finding a
solution or reporting to council that we're unable to solve the problem for
whatever reason
- If additional items occur to council members they can add them to the wiki
- We will also be adding and then dealing with a number of more minor issues as
they arise
- We will where possible provide necessary CSS to solve these issues back to
Sebastian to double-check, and in the case we can't get it working at very
minimum least explain what we'd like to do and why it isn't working for us
- The end product should be an XHTML version of the Guidelines with more
consistent and up-to-date formatting
- Once the XHTML guidelines are in a decent format, we'll make recommendations
for how some of these issues should be dealt with in the PDF output of the
guidelines

Schedule:
3 Aug: Report back to Council on progress so far and any outstanding issues
7 Sep: All issues should be resolved and/or reported to Sebastian and/or Council

Dot and I are having an online meeting later this week to kick things off again.

Main Issues:

- One of the issues which vexes us is how much we should worry about structural
issues involved with the overall website navigation.  We believe that the
presentation of the Guidelines (although essentially an independent output of
the TEI) needs to be integrated with the look of the website.  As a result any
changes we make to such elements of the website  (marked as 'website issue' on
the wiki) will be in keeping with the current website and hopefully able to be
migrated without too many problems to a new updated TEI-C website.
- Some of the changes may require a tiny bit of javascript (hopefully that will
degrade sensibly in non-javascript-enabled browsers), and although we may be
able to get this working ourselves we will report back if we aren't able to.

-James and Dot