[tei-council] <said> proposals available

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jul 16 06:42:40 EDT 2007

Syd Bauman wrote:
> The two proposals are very similar. The only difference is how the
> <q> element is defined. In the latter ("said-q-hi") proposal, the
> Guidelines are explicit that <q> can be used for any of the various
> underlying reasons that gets represented with quotation marks. I
> prefer this proposal, in part because I think lots of people already
> use <q> this way.

I would agree, and prefer the said-q-hi implementation.  In my mind 'hi' is
a super element indicating all sorts of highlighting, 'q' is a more
specific version indicating things-in-quotation-marks, and then I guess
such things as mentioned, soCalled, term, etc.  But for some reason
foreign, distinct, emph are more hiLike in my mind than qLike.  Perhaps
this comes from them usually not being indicated by quotation marks? Not sure.

In any case I think said-q-hi is better than leaving q how it was.

-James