[tei-council] <said> proposals available

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Jul 16 04:47:06 EDT 2007

I'm still only mildly enthusiastic about the introduction of <said>,
which seems to me a step too far in the interpretive direction, but
realise I'm probably in a minority. If the majority view prevails, then
I much prefer the "said-q-hi" implementation of it to the other one.

Assuming that this proposal carries, I think the chapter should include
some examples (presented as alternatives) using <q>, to reinforce the
point that this is analogous to <hi>.

Do we still want the list of entity names now that we don't really
support character entities? In effect, these are now just suggested
values for @rend, and mostly rather obscure ones at that.

The example from Terry Langendoen's book was chosen by Michael as a
little gesture of appreciation to TL, so Michael is probably the person
to ask about how it should be tagged! FWIW, though, I don't think <term>
is right: "language" isn't being defined in this example, it's being
talked about. Hence the use of <mentioned>.