[tei-council] <said> proposals available

Christian Wittern cwittern at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 01:22:10 EDT 2007

Syd Bauman wrote:
> The two separate proposals for the new <said> element are now
> available in http://www.tei-c.org/Drafts/said/ (or will be as soon as
> the server syncs). The two proposals are in files called
>   said-asis
>   said-q-hi
> and each has .odd source and derived .doc.html, .rnc, and .rng files.
>
> The two proposals are very similar. The only difference is how the
> <q> element is defined. In the latter ("said-q-hi") proposal, the
> Guidelines are explicit that <q> can be used for any of the various
> underlying reasons that gets represented with quotation marks. I
> prefer this proposal, in part because I think lots of people already
> use <q> this way.

I think this is the crucial point in the whole proposal.  Not clearing
up the muddy semantics of all three elements (said, q and quote) while
introducing a new one would be a mistake, I think, especially in light
of the frequency this is debated on TEI-L.

So I will go with the new proposal which modifies <q>.

One question that will need to be considered is which of these will go

Was there anything about <hi> in the proposal?  If yes, I missed it.

Christian

--

 Christian Wittern