[tei-council] Re: ODD notes

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 12 17:05:14 EDT 2007

sloiseau at limsi.fr wrote:
> Why not a include/@href="..." (like in rng) or import (like in xsl) (or
> the mechanism systemId / publicId, but it is perhaps related to the DTD
> world).

you can always use XInclude if you want. The point of the key= mechanism
is that it does _not_ point to a URL, because the material may come
from a database query, or some local file, or anything; we don't
want to commit an ODD to the method used to locate the P5 source
> The problem with a namespace (as with @base = TEI) is perhaps that with
> "cascading odd", there is no way for a derived odd to express which
> intermediate ODD it relies upon.

true. I wish I thought cascading odds genuinely worked.

you _could_ use <moduleRef url="...."> instead of @key, but thats
rather under-implemented. I'd have to do some work to make that
behave properly.
> An advantage Lou pointed out is that with a base reference, there is no
> need anymore for this strange <moduleRef key="tei" />, which is the only
> moduleRef which is:
> - mandatory
> - not including element, but other grammatical units (the attribute and
> element classes).

well, that would need some playing around with to get right. the "tei"
module
is genuine and must be read.

> I have a question related to this point: in case of cascading odds, does
> this mean that one can no longer refer to the initial modules?

hmm. I think so
> For instance, suppose a first odd refers to several modules (namesdate,
> linking, analysis), and a second odd, extending the first one, want to
> remove a module. Is this no more possible?

I'd have to experiment with this to see what I have actually
implemented. I may well
have got it wrong, and so broken cascades.

>> I am thinking that if the default output of The TEI is "tei_all",
>> then the modular schema fragments become even more
>> redundant.
>>

> I don't understand. What are modular schema?

part of the output of P5 is a set of DTD and RELAXNG modules, which
can be included in your own schema using native tools (such as RELAXNG's
<include>)