[tei-council] ODD notes

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 11 14:22:44 EDT 2007

Syd Bauman wrote:
> I think ODD should allow multiple <schemaSpec>s, but `roma` (and
> Roma) should be more forceful about giving an "I'm sorry, I can't
> do that" message than it is now. If no one else wants to do this, I
> will try to get to it by the weekend.

I looked at this again just now, and I have to say that
making Roma and friends do multiple schemas would
be hard. The XSL makes a lot of use of xsl:key, which
looks over the whole file. The only short-term solution
would be a preprocessor to split a ODD into a
series of new self-contained files.

I agree, the message should be stronger.

> I didn't think order was significant, at least not in one's
> customization ODD.
it is, if you make macros and want a DTD. Macros
have to be declared in the right order. Also,
classes get turned into entities in DTD-land, so there
too the order can matter. SADLY!
>  I also didn't realize any *Spec declarations were
> valid outside of a <schemaSpec>. Are they?

apart from inside a schemaSpec and in a <specGrp>
they should not be allowed. we need to look at the
schema to see how to control this better.