[tei-council] Re: ODD notes

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 11 14:17:29 EDT 2007

Syd Bauman wrote:
>>> 3. If ODD is meant to be fully general there ought to be some way of
>>> specifying the base collection of modules ...
>>>
>> I agree. any objections?
>>

> I don't understand it well enough to object, I'm afraid.

the point is that <moduleRef key="namesdates"/> says "go get
namedates from Somewhere, You Know Where." This is taken
to be "The TEI". What Sylvain is saying is that we have no
formal record of this, and that <schemaSpec base="TEI">
would give some documentary context for the @key on moduleRef

>> I will look at schema to see if we can trap this. probably @module
>> and @mode are alternates; is that true, Syd?
>>

> Isn't module= needed when mode="add"?

no, because at the schemaSpec level there are no modules
any  more.

>> quite possibly. thats a big question, related to whether we should
>> generate modular schemas
>>

> I don't grok the relationship.

I am thinking that if the default output of The TEI is "tei_all",
then the modular schema fragments become even more
redundant.

I think we can afford to leave this on hold for the moment;
its more important to freeze the *Spec, and thus freeze
instance documents.