[tei-council] Re: ODD notes

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 11 09:57:22 EDT 2007

Lou Burnard wrote:

> 1. Can an ODD document contain more than one <schemaSpec> element? The
> schema permits this, but the current toolkit expects to produce only
> one set of outputs. So either multiple schemaSpec elements should
> generate an error or the current toolkit needs enhancing
I will treat this as  bug report for the XSL tools

> 3. If ODD is meant to be fully general there ought to be some way of
> specifying the base collection of modules which are to be combined by
> reference from within a schemaSpec, defaulting to "tei". A @base
> attribute on the schemaSpec might do this (not to be confused with
> xml:base however)
I agree. any objections?

> 4. When deleting (eg) an elementSpec, why is it necessary to specify
> the module? this is redundant, surely.
I will look at schema to see if we can trap this. probably @module and
@mode are alternates;
is that true, Syd?

> 5. Should the text of the TEI Guidelines not include a <schemaSpec>
> somewhere, generating (presumably) tei_all?
quite possibly. thats a big question, related to whether we should
generate modular schemas

> 6. We don't specify anywhere in what circumstances order is
> significant for the declarations within a <schemaSpec>, nor that only
> the declarations contained by one (either directly or via moduleRef,
> specGrpRef etc) are used in the output schema. Should declarations not
> so contained generate an error?
I will look at the schema to see if we can do this