[tei-council] TRAC ticket 329 -- time to close?

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Mon Jul 9 17:46:17 EDT 2007

Is everyone happy with how dating attributes are handled now? Can I
close TRAC ticket 329 as done?

The only thing that Council requested that was not implemented was
that the when= attribute is not in alternation with one or more of
from=, to=, notBefore=, and notAfter=. This turns out not to be
possible to do with the current implementation of ODD. We could, of
course, add a Schematron rule to cover this circumstance.[1]

Also, the period= attribute was added (at the request of the
placographers, I think), and I don't know what would be Council's
pleasure on how it should interact with the other att.datable
attributes.

Notes
-----
[1]     <rule context="t:date|t:time">
          <report test="@when and ( @from or @to or @notBefore or
            @notAfter )"> The when= attribute should not be used in
            combination with the from=, to=, notBefore=, or </report>
        </rule>
    Although that context is obviously wrong, it doesn't include all
    the other elements that are members of att.datable. Anyone think
    of a clever way to say context="member of class att.datable"? My
    knee-jerk reaction is obviously wrong, as even if it's valid
    XPath, the elements and attributes being queried are not in the
    current document, but rather are in the expanded and simplified
    ODD generated by `roma`:
    //*[local-name()=//elementSpec/classes/memberOf[@key='att.datable']/@ident]
    Besides, isn't that asking for the ident= of memberOf? I wanted
    the ident= of <elementSpec>, of course. Sigh. Perhaps
    //*[local-name()=//elementSpec[classes/memberOf[@key='att.datable']]/@ident
    would be more like it?