on capitalization in glosses (was "Re: [tei-council] Glosses, glosses ...")

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Thu Jul 5 11:13:47 EDT 2007

SB> Does anyone have strong opinions about whether proper nouns like
SB> "World Geodetic System" should be glossed with initial caps or
SB> not?

JC> Most uses of it in prose tend to be capitalised, but I would
JC> guess this is down to the editorial style guide.

LB> They shouldn't be glossed at all: they are dictionary words. But
LB> WGS gets capitals because it is a proper name.,

Sorry, I was not being clear. In general, all glosses are all lower
case. The only current exceptions are acronyms ("XML", "MIME", "ODD",
"TEI", "FSD"). But what if the gloss itself is a proper noun? The
example is the attribute value "WGS84" should have a gloss of either
"World Geodetic System" or "world geodetic system".

And yes, this is a question of editorial policy primarily aimed at
Lou.