[tei-council] oversimplification: <measure> isn't measured

David J Birnbaum djbpitt+tei at pitt.edu
Wed Jul 4 23:49:06 EDT 2007

Dear Syd (cc Council),

>   which bears a dir= or dim= attribute whose value may be one of
>   "height", "width", and "depth". This new element could be empty
>   (quantity always expressed on quantity=, extent=, or value=
>   attribute) or could have content of text or macro.xtext. (I'd leave
>   it to David and Matthew to decide on that.)
>
> What do you think?

A single element <extent>, which admits an attribute to distinguish
height from width from depth, creates the opportunity to record multiple
heights but no width, etc. When I specify the page measurements in a
manuscript description, I require exactly one height and exactly one
width, and my (custom) schema keeps me from doubling one or omitting the
other (these are two completely independent problems). For what it's
worth, I also specify a fixed order for the two measurements, not
because one order is inherently better than another (although I think
that is the case), but because if you permit either order, you increase
the opportunity for a user not to notice whether he or she has omitted
something that should not be omitted.

The opportunity to omit a specification that in practice must not be
omitted or to encode twice a specification that in practice must be
encoded only once arises frequently in the TEI. It is often a
consequence of the proliferation of 'repeatable or groups' (although not
only of 'repeatable or groups'), which have become even more numerous
since we implemented the class system. We may decide that the benefits
of that system justify the price (reduced control and precision) in some
cases, but since we want no more than one height and one width when we
give the dimensions of a folio (and the same plus depth for certain
other measurements), would it not be more reliable to use a model that
reduces the opportunity to deviate from those requirements?

Best,

David