[tei-council] datatype of @n in att.global

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Fri Jun 29 06:36:56 EDT 2007

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> Lou Burnard wrote:
>> One school of thought is to ask why this text uses such a strange
>> numbering system and encode the purposes behind it. What does "4 (3)"
>> mean? If it means "the third subsection of part 4", then we would
>> regard this as a formatting issue. You shouldn't encode it at all: the
>> stylesheet is expected to generate it.
> that's ducking the issue. if the stylesheet always generates it, what is
> @n for at all?
> it's traditionally been used to record the number, no? you mean @n should
> be "4.3"?
>
> the Guidelines have a helpful example of @n:
>
> <exemplum>
>        <egXML xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/Examples"/>
>      </exemplum>

The discussion at #STGA says:

chapter numbers, etc.) to be encoded even if it would not be a legal
<att>xml:id</att> value.  Its value may be any string of characters;
typically it is a number or other similar enumerator or label.

So the letter of the law is on your side. James's concerns about
possible misuse are appropriate however: we really don't want to see
things like

<item n="This is an interesting item">

or

-- that's what <label> is for.