[tei-council] datatype of @n in att.global

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Fri Jun 29 06:24:59 EDT 2007

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> pragmatically, if I meet in a document
>
>     4 (3)  Alternatives to Litigation
>
> and this is determined to be a header, am
> I not right to mark this up as

>     <head>Alternatives to Litigation</head>
>
> ? If I am right, then the only way to avoid my
> plea is to say "but no book ever has done this" :-}
>
> If I am wrong, how _do_ I mark it up?

One school of thought is to ask why this text uses such a strange
numbering system and encode the purposes behind it. What does "4 (3)"
mean? If it means "the third subsection of part 4", then we would regard
this as a formatting issue. You shouldn't encode it at all: the
stylesheet is expected to generate it. If it means "this is chapter 4
even though it's actually the third chapter", you should use just n="4"
(and equally generate the " (3)" in your stylesheet). If it means "this
is chapter 4 according to me and chapter 3 according to Denkin,
Watersmith and Vole's 1892 edition, then you should be bunging in some
<mileStone>s

Another school of thought is to say if it matters that much to you, bung
it into the <head>, possibly separating it off as a <label>

<head>4 (3) Alternatives to Litigation</head>

both work for me.

Similar issues are to be found in the discussion of numbered list items,
if I remember rightly.