[tei-council] Guidelines formatting

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Jun 25 19:23:12 EDT 2007

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> yes, the big day has arrived, at
> http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/Guidelines/en/guidelines-en.xml.ID=REFTAG
>
> you can see the parentage of elements, classes and macros. Now,
> I think its silly and unwieldy, but does it make  those people who
> have been asking for it for years happy?

This looks more than silly to me. Does anyone seriously want the
Guidelines to look like this?

It's  misleading too -- it implies that everyone will always be using
teiall, and it doesn't indicate the macros and model classes which are
what really determines parent/child relationships in the TEI model, so
you can't use it to work out how you might customize the TEI properly.

I haven't heard people asking for this for years. In fact, the last time
I remember any discussion of it  was many years ago, and the conclusion
then was that it only made sense to produce this kind of listing for
specific TEI schemas (the example then was tei lite, but now I guess
we'd propose tei tite for this dubious privilege) and certainly not for
the whole of the guidelines.

> If you feel very strong and awake, see if you can find a flaw in my
> algorithm.

which algorithm would that be then?