[tei-council] Formatting of the Guidelines

Arianna Ciula arianna.ciula at kcl.ac.uk
Mon Jun 25 15:06:11 EDT 2007

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> James Cummings wrote:
> 3) do cool stuff like a dynamic floating TOC on the right-hand side

We should be careful with 'cool' things as this that may break
compatibility between browsers etc. and simplicity is good...but you
know this better than me.

By the way, looking at the list at
http://www.tei-c.org.uk/wiki/index.php/GuidelinesFormattingSuggestions I
am not sure I agree with point 6: why should the navigation bar go to
the right? I would agree that we could also have a contextual navigation
bar on the right if useful (e.g. chapter by chapter) and/or, better,
breadcrumbs (as suggested under number 27), but the main navigation for
the guidelines (full toc) should stay on the left, I think.

If not too late I would add the following:
- have 'back to top' after a certain number of divisions
- it would be good to have somewhere (if it's already there and I
haven't seen it...sorry in advance) a citation system so that people can
refer to specific sections of the guidelines. This is not directly
related to the style, but the style can help a lot especially if
consistency (e.g. internal numbering of paragraphs) is kept between
default html and PDF for instance and if there is some indication of a
date of publication different from the year.
- labels to switch between languages
- meaningful strings in title tags (see for instance links from first
few paragraphs at
http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/Guidelines/en/guidelines-en.xml.ID=CC)
- I saw that the running lists of elements/classes have disappeared.
Now, they were not beautiful, but I think we need some sort of index of
elements/classes/macros different from the pages with the full specs.
They are very useful to find things.
- there are also some issues in the specs:
   - e.g. order and repetition of chapters under Note
   - I think the module should also have a link to the chapter where
that module is described

sorry for the delay...
Arianna
--