[tei-council] Formatting of the Guidelines

James Cummings James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Fri Jun 22 10:15:58 EDT 2007

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> I hope that you are not going to pass these on unadulterated to the
> programmer, James?

No, I was going to tidy them up organise them by type of thing, and then
make myself a list of things to look at.  What programmer is it you're
referring to?  As long as Dot and I, having

> Too many of them are like "Better styling of all Relax NG examples"
> which does not really provide much a spec for what to change.....

In that case, that is a rephrased one where various people said things like
"Better pretty printing of Relax NG fragments", etc. and so I summarised
it.

> I'd also point out that there is no such thing as "Website issue". These
> are (currently) entirely free-standing web pages. the web server adds
> nothing.

Sorry, I don't buy that.  While it is true that these are free-standing
webpages, the reason Guidelines have the the TEI logo in the top right-hand
corner , the title in the place where it is, a navbar, a 'Skip Links' link,
etc. is to make them fit in with the current website.  I don't believe it
is in the remit of looking at the formatting of the Guidelines to redesign
the super-structure in which it is placed.  Surely the layout of the title,
etc., are going to have to change to fit in with whatever Virginia come up
with as the new website.  While I'll give some thought to the toc issue
that several people raised, the main aim is to get a consistent and
attractive presentation of the content in the rh-col div.  As far as I'm
concerned everything outside of that is bound to change depending on the
new website that it will be a part of.  Surely you can't be suggesting
that, users should be presented with an entirely different look and feel to
the superstructure of the page than the rest of the TEI site?

-James