[tei-council] comments on HD

John A. Walsh jawalsh at indiana.edu
Thu Jun 14 15:01:13 EDT 2007

Catching up on tasks before conference call, here are my comments,
from Berlin, on HD chapter:

HD comments.

SGML Reference in 3.1.1: "The <teiHeader> element should be clearly
distinguished both from the prolog, which comprises either the XML
declaration or the SGML"

Perhaps "computer file" should be replaced with the phrase "digital
object," which is now the common terminology for something like a TEI
text, which could be a single file or multiple files.

DTD reference in 3.1.1: "The <teiHeader> element should be clearly
distinguished both from the prolog, which comprises either the XML
declaration or the SGML declaration, and the document type
declaration (see chapter A Gentle Introduction to XML); and from the
front matter of the text itself (for which see section 5.4 Front
Matter)."

The discussion of adding phrases like "a machine readable
transcription" should perhaps be removed. Library catalogs, online
stores, etc. all have mechanisms, other than the title, for
distinguishing among versions and media types.  So users shoulndn't
have trouble distinguishing between _Gone with the Wind_, the book on
paper, the film on film, the film on DVD, the film on VHS, or the
book as digital file.

DTD reference in 3.2.1: "The TITLE, AUTHOR, NAME, RESPSTMT, and RESP
elements are declared in file teicore2.dtd, not here."

typo in 3.2.2: "version,level" [need space after comma]

SGML reference in 3.3: "<tagsDecl> (tagging declaration) provides
detailed information about the tagging applied to an SGML or XML
document."

SGML reference in 3.3.5.3: "The milestone referencing scheme, though
conceptually simple, is not supported by a generic SGML or XML
parser. Its use places a correspondingly greater burden of
verification and accuracy on the encoder."

formatting note: attributes are not distincly formatted in the prose
of the guidelines.  See 3.3.3, after "It may contain a prose
description only, or one or more of the following specialized
elements:..."

organization question:  The guidelines describe, in a bulleted list,
the seven child elements of <editorialDecl>. Then there is a
paragraph about model.editorialDeclPar and then another bulleted list
about the questions these seven child elements might address.
Perhaps these two bulleted lists could be collapsed into one.  The
single bulleted list could describe the element *and* the questions
it is meant to address.

3.3.5:
Reference to DTD (sort of):  multiple references to "document type"
in the discussion of the refsDecl/@doctype attribute.

SGML reference in 3.3.5.3: "The milestone referencing scheme, though
conceptually simple, is not supported by a generic SGML or XML parser."

URL is 3.4.3: This section references "http://www.browncorpus.org".
The link appears to be dead, and if the working link can be found, it
should probably be encoded as a ref so it appears as an clickable
link in the HTML guidelines.

DTD reference in 3.5: In a code example:

<change date="1997-03-13">On 13 March 1997 <name
key="lmayer.ins">Lauryn S. Mayer</name>
    began capture using Author/Editor v. 3.1 on Mac with
    version 1.0.14 of DTD.
    </change>
  <change date="1997-06-12" who="#LM">On 12 June 1997 <name
key="lmayer.ins" xml:id="LM">Lauryn S. Mayer</name>
    began entering corrections with version 1.1.2a of DTD
    </change>