Fwd: [tei-council] DRAFT Agenda for the TEI Council teleconference on June 15, 2007 at 1200 UTC

Dot Porter dporter at uky.edu
Thu Jun 14 09:45:18 EDT 2007

I agree absolutely 100% with what James says here. It's the same
argument I make to some I know who would like to see a global @coords
attribute (which would contain coordinate values for an image file).
Why on earth would we want a @coords attribute on <encodingDesc>? I
think @rend fall under this as well.

Dot

On 6/14/07, James Cummings
<James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> wrote:
> I know this isn't the issue under consideration, but I've always had a
> problem with @rend being in the att.global class myself.
>
> @rend is defined as indicating "how the element in question was rendered or
> presented in the source text."  While this makes sense to me for every
> element underneath <gi>text</gi> in the hierarchy, it still bothers me in
> the header.
>
> According to the Guidelines as they stand <revisionDesc rend="italics">
> does not say the revisionDesc should be printed out in italics, but that it
> was in italics in the original.  This makes no sense to me because
> revisionDesc summarizes the change history for the electronic file and is
> not present in the source.  Similarly, what does <fileDesc rend="blue">,
> <encodingDesc rend="RedSquiggly"> or <availability rend="quantum"> really
> mean if these elements did not appear in the source text?
>
> If TEI says nothing about output rendition (which is, I think, a strength
> rather than a failing), then wouldn't it make sense for @rend to only be
> allowed on elements which in one way or another reflect the source text,
> rather than provide information about the electronic text.  (Ignoring, for
> the moment theoretical questions of transcriptions from images of
> syntax-highlighted TEI XML.)
>
> I have yet to be convinced of its utility on such elements if the
> definition remains,as I think it should, solely to do the source document
> for the TEI encoded version.
>
> -James
>
> Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> > so we all agree that the TEI says nothing about output rendition? should we
> > concretely suggest using html:class / html:style?
> >
> > I find @rend and @rendref rather hard to swallow.  I know the
> > TEI is famously indecisive, but this seems going too far.  I suppose
> > if it was a choice of @rend *or* @rendRef it would be slightly nicer.
> >
> > What scares me is adding a new attribute to att.global, because
> > it becomes so visible to everyone. What you _could_ have is
> > @rendRef supplied by an optional module, but then what else
> > would that contain?
> >

> --
> Dr James Cummings, Oxford Text Archive, University of Oxford
> James dot Cummings at oucs dot ox dot ac dot uk

Dot Porter, University of Kentucky
#####
Program Coordinator
Collaboratory for Research in Computing for Humanities
dporter at uky.edu          859-257-9549
#####
Editorial Assistant, REVEAL Project
Center for Visualization and Virtual Environments
porter at vis.uky.edu