[tei-council] state and event

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Fri Jun 8 23:48:00 EDT 2007

Very good solution. I like them. Another possibility might be occurrence
instead of incident. But I don't care.

I'm glad we are moving this way.

-dan

On Sat, 2007-06-09 at 00:42 +0100, Lou's Laptop wrote:
> Amongst other things reported from the "geog" meeting at CCH a couple of
> weeks back, it was suggested that we would like to use <state> and
> <event> as generic states and events (rather than the current persState,
> placeState, orgState, etc.
>
> As these names unfortunately collide with the existing <state> and
> <event> elements
>  (which got there first) I am now proposing to rename the existing
> elements, unless anyone has very strong objections.
>
> The existing <state> element (used only in the rather obscure context of
> the Header's <refsDecl>) is the easy one: I propose to change it to
> <refState>
>
> The existing <event> element (used in the only slightly less obscure
> context of the chapter on spoken transcription) is  trickier to find a
> good replacement for.  Sebastian suggests <incident> which is almost
> right but a bit long winded.
>
> Does anyone have better suggestions?

Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Department Chair and Associate Professor of English
Director, Digital Medievalist Project http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/
Chair, Text Encoding Initiative http://www.tei-c.org/

Department of English
University of Lethbridge