[tei-council] state and event

Lou's Laptop lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Fri Jun 8 19:42:46 EDT 2007

Amongst other things reported from the "geog" meeting at CCH a couple of
weeks back, it was suggested that we would like to use <state> and
<event> as generic states and events (rather than the current persState,
placeState, orgState, etc.

As these names unfortunately collide with the existing <state> and
<event> elements
 (which got there first) I am now proposing to rename the existing
elements, unless anyone has very strong objections.

The existing <state> element (used only in the rather obscure context of
the Header's <refsDecl>) is the easy one: I propose to change it to
<refState>

The existing <event> element (used in the only slightly less obscure
context of the chapter on spoken transcription) is  trickier to find a
good replacement for.  Sebastian suggests <incident> which is almost
right but a bit long winded.

Does anyone have better suggestions?