[tei-council] Dictionary chapter update and proposal

Wittern Christian cwittern at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 03:52:12 EDT 2007

Laurent Romary wrote:
> Dear all,
> Since our last meeting we been going through the PD chapter, trying to
> see room for improvement. Element descriptions will thus be completed
> by appropriate examples and tiny editorial improvements made (before
> the more extensive linguistic editing that Lou would like to do on the
> chapter).
> I would like to address here a specific issue related to a change we
> would like to operate on the technical content of the chapter: using
> discussion I had with Lou (and technical fights with Roma), where we
> tried to revisit the intrinsic complexity of various elements in the
> disctionary chapter which seem more or less to express the same
> A replacement by <cit> would imply among other thing to introduce a
> class (model.citDesc) in the content model of <cit> to which one could
> attach whatever kind of descriptive elements (dictionnary elements in
> the case of the dictionary module, but I could anticipate useful
> applications in many domains). I think we do have here a very nice
> simplification of quite a generic structure and would really like to
> have it endorsed by the council.
> I am thus asking you:
> a) your opinion about the thing
The scope and intent seems right on spot.

> b) your green light to put it on the P5 1.0 agenda
I would like to see this in P5 1.0.  I think we already agreed in Berlin
that given the timescale no big changes can be made.  However, the
things you propose look more like a cleanup than a major revision so I
think it is very much in the range of things that can be done.

(I will need to look at the examples in more detail later.)

All the best,

Christian

--
 Christian Wittern