[tei-council] Dictionary chapter update and proposal

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Jun 5 05:51:57 EDT 2007

As Laurent and I have already discussed this on a couple of occasions, I
will try to repeat here my understanding of the proposed change to <cit>
(but please note I may have got it wrong!)

1. At present we use <cit> as  a way of grouping a quote-like thing with
a bibl-like thing and/or a pointer-like thing, as a means of asserting
that this quote is associated with that source.

2. However, it is certainly the case in dictionaries and not implausibly
the case elsewhere, that there lurks in the vicinity of the cit a third
thing explaining exactly why or how this quote is being used (plus or
minus its attribution) in this context, which it would be more
convenient to regard as a child of the cit  than as a sibling of it

3. I have suggested that model.noteLike would do for this purpose, but
Laurent feels that a more specific class is needed -- his proposed
model.citDesc

Laurent's note includes a long list of utterly splendid examples, which
I would like to read through and comment on at length, but just to
illustrate how the proposal works, consider the following one:

            <entry>
                <sense n="4">
                    <usg type="colloc">
                        <oRef type="cap"/> and
<mentioned>any</mentioned> are used with
                            <mentioned>more</mentioned>
                    </usg>
                    <cit type="example">
                        <q>Give me <oRef/> more</q>
                        <pron extent="part">s@'mO:(r)</pron>
                    </cit>
                </sense>
            </entry>

Under sense 4 of "some", there is a cit which wraps both a quote "Give
me _ more" (the <oRef> is a reference to the <orth> element containing
"some", a specialized ptr if you like) and a note about how this
particular example should be pronounced. The <pron> doesn't belong to
the sense, and it doesn't belong, really, to the headword "some"  --
just to this quotation.

I think we should try to get this change into P5 in some shape: it will
simplify the dictionary chapter and may be useful elsewhere. What do
others think?

Lou

Laurent Romary wrote:
> Dear all,
> Since our last meeting we been going through the PD chapter, trying to
> see room for improvement.
//