[tei-council] What did we decide?

David J Birnbaum djbpitt+tei at pitt.edu
Fri Jun 1 11:35:22 EDT 2007

Dear Lou (cc Council),

My memory about this is a bit foggy, but I thought someone suggested in
Berlin that since TEI conformance requires an ODD, the Guidelines should
say nothing about modifying the TEI otherwise than through the use of an
ODD. That is, although other types of modification can be implemented by
someone perverse enough to try, the Guidelines shouldn't get involved in
(or even acknowledge the existence of) such non-conformant endeavors.

I don't remember whether we agreed on this or whether it just floated
around the table, slipped out under the door, headed down in the pater
noster, and disappeared across the square, but whatever the disposition,
I think it would 1) make our lives easier and 2) make the lives of those
who wish to modify the TEI easier.

Best,

David