[tei-council] What did we decide?

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Fri Jun 1 11:18:05 EDT 2007

I thought we had some discussion in Berlin about what the Guidelines
should say about the feasibility of constructing a TEI schema by non-ODD
methods, e.g. by lumping together references to TEI dtd fragments within
a doctype, or building a relaxng schema by referencing the TEI Relaxng
modules.

I cannot however find any reference to it in the minutes (instead they
seem to document all sorts of minor corrections which we not only
decided but dealt with in the meeting itself)

Before I go ahead and rewrite history, here's what I believe the party
line to be:

1. TEI Conformance (whether implicit  or algorithmic) requires that
there be an ODD. Therefore if you don't have an ODD, you cannot be TEI
conformant.

2. Nevertheless, we do create TEI modules as distinct schema/DTD
fragments, with published names (someone was actioned to review the
names I think? sebastian?) and document said names and modules.

So, if you're smart, you can go ahead and build yourself a TEI aschema
without an ODD. But we don't promise it will always work -- at release
1.n we might (for example) move an element from one module to another.

Argal, the discussion in ST.xml#STIN should refer only to ODDs? (which
is where I came in)