[tei-council] the "key" attribute

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 23 14:43:30 EDT 2007

by which I hope you mean not old @key, but new @ref.....

> I am not sure we should discourage the use of an attribute that allows
> people to integrate data coming from different resources (e.g. XML
> source documents separate from DB material, ontology or whatever).
I thought we encouraged integration by URLs, pure and simple, except in
special cases?

> The XML source file cannot contain ALL the information about its
> context (e.g. prosopographical context) and shouldn't (IMO).
no, which is why a URL which can go inside the file, or out of it, is a
good answer. Isn't this basic TEI P5, a move
towards Web-style hyperlinking as the primary method?
> However, I do agree that we could suggest better ways of doing things
> such as what we are now doing by supporting the use of namespaces: for
> instance, tell where you could store store the path to get to your DB
> and transform those keys into actual references and so on.
I don't think you mean namespaces here; you refer, I think, to creative
use of different URI protocols.

We must make sure we dont spend the whole day next week discussing this....