[tei-council] the "key" attribute

Matthew James Driscoll mjd at hum.ku.dk
Tue May 22 07:50:02 EDT 2007

Yes, quite awake, but up to my oxters in work (by which I mean what I'm
actually paid to do). Still, I've been following this debate very closely,
for the reason you indicate, viz. that this issue is of such importance to
all this name stuff. Unfortunately, but not for the first time, I'm not sure
I understand the technical issues sufficiently to try and voice an opinion.

It would be helpful if I had a clearer idea of the difference between key,
ana and target (and ref), all of which seem to do similar, but subtly
different, things. It's the "subtly different" bit that gets me.

key "provides a means of locating a full definition for the entity being
named such as a database record key or a URI"

ana "indicates one or more elements containing interpretations of the
element on which the ana attribute appears"

target "specifies the destination of the reference by supplying one or more
URI References"

ref "points to a description of the character or glyph intended"

The first of these is datatype data.key ("defines the range of attribute
values expressing a coded value by means of an arbitrary identifier,
typically taken from a set of externally-defined possibilities=), while the
last 3 are data.pointer ("defines the range of attribute values used to
provide a single pointer to any other resource, either within the current
document or elsewhere").

Anybody want to try to explain to me wherein the subtle difference lies?

Matthew