[tei-council] the "key" attribute

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon May 21 16:58:10 EDT 2007

Lou Burnard wrote:
> How do we feel about pos tagging? At present the Guiidelines say you
> have to do things like
> <w ana="#NOUN">bum</w>
>
> and point off stage to some definition for noun (an <interp> or a <fs>
> or something).
>
> But why shouldn't I do
>
> <w key="NOUN">bum</w>
>
> meaning "Everyone knows what a NOUN is, but if you insist on finding
> out use this magic string 'NOUN' and some mechanism external to this
> document will enlighten you"
If <name target="#Napoleon">Boney</name> is right, I assume your example
should be <w target="#NOUN"> by
the same argument.

It is a slippery (and seductive) slope if we appear to let ID/IDREF back
in, which is what
will happen if we allow key="NOUN", cos people will use it to point to
that <interp>,
instead of "the universe".

I am fairly sure we should switch all the @keys on objects to @target
forthwith,