[tei-council] rendition, rend, and style

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 16 09:07:49 EDT 2007

ok, here is the demonstration. This is the input file, with different
rend values
for <p> and <hi>:

<TEI xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0">
  <teiHeader>
    <fileDesc>
      <titleStmt>
    <title>The title</title>
      </titleStmt>
      <publicationStmt>
      </publicationStmt>
      <sourceDesc>
      </sourceDesc>
    </fileDesc>
  </teiHeader>
  <text>
  </text>
</TEI>

and here is the ODD from which you can generate a schema to validate
the above. Note that I have changed the global rend attribute
to a fixed list, then overridden that for <p>.

I claim this is *better* than pointers, cos it is validated,
and you can do all the documentation in the ODD file
at the project level rather than the file level. The CSS could
be included in the ODD file and generated from there.

If anyone believes this is not conformant, I'll see you
outside the school gates later for a fight.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<TEI xml:lang="en"  xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0"
 xmlns:rng="http://relaxng.org/ns/structure/1.0"
 n="testrend">
   <teiHeader>
      <fileDesc>
         <titleStmt>
            <title>TEI with rend setup</title>
            <author>Sebastian Rahtz</author>
         </titleStmt>
         <publicationStmt>
     </publicationStmt>
         <sourceDesc>
         </sourceDesc>
      </fileDesc>
   </teiHeader>
<text>
<divGen type="toc"/>
<head>My schema to check rend values</head>
    <schemaSpec ident="testrend" start="TEI">
      <moduleRef key="header"/>
      <moduleRef key="core"/>
      <moduleRef key="tei"/>
      <moduleRef key="textstructure"/>
      <classSpec ident="att.global" module="tei" mode="change" type="atts">
    <attList>
      <attDef ident="rend" mode="change">
        <valList type="closed" mode="add">
          <valItem ident="bold"/>
          <valItem ident="italic"/>
          <valItem ident="underline"/>
        </valList>
      </attDef>
    </attList>
      </classSpec>
      <elementSpec ident="p" module="core" mode="change">
    <attList>
      <attDef ident="rend" mode="change">
        <valList type="closed" mode="add">
          <valItem ident="center"/>