[tei-council] rendition, rend, and style

John A. Walsh jawalsh at indiana.edu
Wed May 16 09:14:11 EDT 2007

On May 16, 2007, at 8:53 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> John A. Walsh wrote:
>>
>> The problem is with a fixed value list is that you can't combine
>> rendition styles.  With the pointers (note the plural) method, I
>> can have <rendition> elements defining italic, bold, underline,
>> and center styles.  If my source includes an element that is all
>> of these, I can do rend="#i #b #u #center".  With the fixed value
>> list, I'd have to have an unwieldy number of values to accommodate
>> all the combinations.
>>
> but  the datatype of rend is "multiple tokens"[1], so you can say
> rend="a b c" and each of a, b and
> c will be checked against the list. honest.
>

> [1] <datatype maxOccurs="unbounded">
>        <rng:ref xmlns:rng="http://relaxng.org/ns/structure/1.0"
> name="data.word"/>
>      </datatype>

Thanks for the clarification, Sebastian. I guess I was still thinking
in terms of the more limited enumerated lists in DTDs which only
allow one value.  The value list approach provides better validation
but still does not provide the benefit of linking to explicit and
formally defined styles in the <rendition> element in the header, but
I'm probably beating a horse (whether it's a dead horse or not
remains to be seen :-).

John