[tei-council] rendition, rend, and style

Arianna Ciula arianna.ciula at kcl.ac.uk
Fri May 11 04:56:00 EDT 2007

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> Arianna Ciula wrote:
>>
>> As far as born digital material regard though, I can imagine the
>> situation where someone wants to differentiate the semantics (not big
>> or small, but myIntrepret_category1 and myIntrepret_category2) of the
>> information so that some style could be applied - possibly - later on.
> surely they'll use other data containers for semantics? such as the
> "type" attribute?

Sure. What I meant was interpretative categories related to the
rendition of the document but at the same time not as procedural as
'italic bold'.

So for instance if I have two different tables and they both contain
images of text, my @type could be used to specify the type of text they
contain (e.g. images of different scribal abbreviations vs. images of
different scribal headings), while my @rend could be used to say that
both tables contain images of text and therefore have different
rendition from those that contain other type of images.

Arianna

--
Dr Arianna Ciula
Research Associate