[tei-council] rendition, rend, and style

David J Birnbaum djbpitt+tei at pitt.edu
Wed May 9 18:51:28 EDT 2007

Dear John (cc Council),

In David's Magical World of Descriptive Markup, markup is never
procedural/presentational and output rendering is governed by mapping
descriptive markup to rendering details in a stylesheet. If I want my
code snippets output in a monospaced font, I tag them as <code> (or
something similar) and in my stylesheet (not my document instance) I map
the content of <code> elements to a CSS instruction to use that font (or
FO or some other stylesheet-level specification). I never specify
"monospaced font" as part of my markup of my born-electric source.

Similarly, I can't imagine specifying in my descriptive markup that an
element should be rendered as "big" in my output document. I might
specify that it was big in my source document (not the same thing, as
we've noted), or I might specify that it is important or that it is a
section heading, but if I want any of these three features to produce
rendering as big (however I interpret that) in the output, it would be
because "big in the source document" or "important" or "section heading"
was mapped to "render this in big type" in the stylesheet.

I have no problem with mapping of @rend="big" to a font specification in
a <rendition> element when this is part of a description of the source
document. My only objection is to specifying output rendering in the
document instance.

For what it's worth ...

Best,

David