[tei-council] rendition, rend, and style

Dan O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Wed May 9 13:35:20 EDT 2007

Thinking about the option presented so far, I have a modified option. I
still prefer option A. But I like the idea of html:style for real CSS.

I think there is a fair bit of anecdotal evidence that people would like
the idea of being able to describe the output rendition. But I suppose
it does raise the question of whether that is a structural issue or not
something better handled by stylesheets.

-dan

On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 09:08 +0100, Lou Burnard wrote:

> > Incidentally, if we go with B. and style classes are defined in
> > <rendition> elements of the TEI Header, then we could add an attribute
> > to <rendition> that indicates whether the "target" of this rendition
> > "class" is the source text or the output format.  The @style attribute
> > would remain ambiguous in terms of source/output, but this ambiguity
> > could be addressed and clarified in the <encodingDesc>.
>
> Why would you want to use e.g. CSS to describe the *original* rendition?
> surely it lacks many features you'd need (nothing about page layout, for
> example) and has too many irrelevant ones (because it assumes you are
> going to render it on a screen)?
>
> To my mind it makes sense to keep @rend with the proviso that it's for
> describing the original. If we add @style (and I'm not yet convinced
> it's a good idea) it should refer only to desired output.
>
> Mixing input/output definitions within <rendition> doesn't bother me
> particularly, though.
>

> > Once I hear back from others on the Council, I'll proceed with a more
> > formal document on this topic.
> >
> > John
> > --
> > | John A. Walsh
> > | Assistant Professor, School of Library and Information Science
> > | Indiana University, 1320 East Tenth Street, Bloomington, IN 47405
> > | www: <http://www.slis.indiana.edu/faculty/jawalsh/>
> > | Voice:812-856-0707 Fax:812-856-2062 <mailto:jawalsh at indiana.edu>

Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Chair, Text Encoding Initiative <http://www.tei-c.org/>
Director, Digital Medievalist Project <http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/>
Associate Professor and Chair of English
University of Lethbridge
Lethbridge AB T1K 3M4
Vox: +1 403 329 2378
Fax: +1 403 382-7191