[tei-council] rendition, rend, and style

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 9 09:11:41 EDT 2007

I think that anyone who wants the equivalent of HTML's @style should
literally
use html:style, and it would only be used on born-digital stuff. So lets
consider
just HTML's class vs rend.

If rend is to be used for what we _see_, we'll
also very often use it for how we render. So <hi rend="italic">
will want to rendered as <span class="italic">, usually. We
don't want to force people to say <hi rend="italic" style="italic">,
so it makes sense for "italic" be a link to a place in <rendition>
where it is mapped to a) an expansion of what we say (did
we differentiate italic from slanted?), and b) a rendition class
(HTML, FO, whatever).

So I am wondering whether we should not just keep the single
rend, but change its datatype to be a pointer to a composite
source/ rendering pair?

If forced to go A or B, I incline to]

A. @rend/@style should distinguish between source rendering and output
rendering.