[tei-council] New draft on Modification and Conformance

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Apr 19 19:01:31 EDT 2007

Council members will recall that there was quite a flurry of debate on
the topic of conformance following James's work on producing a "straw
person" set of recommendations on the topic.

In consultation with James, Sebastian, Veronika, and just about anyone
else within earshot over the last couple of weeks, I have now finalized
a new draft, which I would very much like Council to read over before
Berlin. The draft is quite short, but the topic is important.

The draft is at http://www.tei-c.org/Drafts/USE.html -- it consists of
the first two subsections of a new chapter of the Guidelines, one on
"Modification", and one on "Conformance".

As some of you will know, the Board is anxious that the Council should
be in a position to define what is meant by "TEI Conformance" sooner
rather than later. I apologize therefore for having taken longer than
intended to get this set of proposals into a shape where they can be
discussed sensibly. Although the  exact text of these chapters is
obviously not going to be settled any time soon, and although P5 1.0
could go ahead without an exact definition of conformance, I would
really like us to go away from Berlin with a clear consensus as to
whether this draft is at least in the right general area, addressing the
right topics, and reaching plausible conclusions we can all live with,
and (indeed) enthusiastically support!

Lou