[tei-council] proposed re-org of div wrapping

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Thu Apr 19 10:09:57 EDT 2007

First, has anyone looked at or tested this limited phrase stuff yet?

Second, in order to fix the content of <div> and permit an element
for postscripts (which I propose to call <ps>), I am planning to
re-organize the div wrapper classes.

--------- current arrangement ---------

model.divWrapper = argument byline dateline docAuthor docDate
                   epigraph head opener salute

model.divWrapper.bottom = closer signed trailer

model.divWrapper is in the content model of lots of things, typically
both at the top & bottom.

model.divWrapper is in the content model of almost all the same
things (but not <divGen> nor <castList>), but only at the bottom.

--------- proposed arrangement ---------

model.divTop = head opener salute epigraph
model.divBottom = closed signed trailer ps
model.divWrapper = argument byline dateline docAuthor docDate

In general, model.divWrapper & model.divTop will be used near the
tops of things; and correspondingly, model.divWrapper and
model.divBottom would be used near the bottom.

---------

This becomes a bit of a problem for <divGen>, which I just realized
is permitted to have content. (It is required to be empty in P3 & P4,
and was in P5 until we changed how the <index> element worked in
summer 2005. I'm at a bit of a loss at the moment -- can someone
explain to me why we did this? Why would <divGen> need content?)

Please speak up if you have any thoughts about this.