[tei-council] New elements in TEI Tite

Wittern Christian cwittern at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 22:55:33 EDT 2007

Dear Council members,

Users from the library community have submitted work done under the
title "TEI Tite" to the TEI Board and Council.  While I have hold off
the announcement here to see what the Board thinks, it now seems to be
justified to ask the Council's opinion on some specific items.

The whole submission is available at
http://artsci.wustl.edu/~ptrolard/tite.tgz. Within this archive, there
is a document p5/teitite.odd, which is a P5 customization that defines a
schema that is intended for the use of keyboarding companies, most
likely with subsequent conversion to proper TEI.  (More about the
background of this is in preface/tei/preface-tei.pdf and
preface/tei/preface-dlf.pdf, but I do not waste our time by requesting
you to read it).

Most of the modifications in Tite are deletions or syntactical sugar,
but there are two elements newly defined.  It seems worthwhile to ask
the question, whether these should have a place in P5 as well.  The two
elements are defined as follows:

<elementSpec ident="cols" mode="add">
<desc>(columns) with the "n" attribute (denoting new number of
columns) is used to mark where a document changes columnar
layout.</desc>
<classes>
<memberOf key="model.milestoneLike"/>
</classes>
<content>
<rng:empty/>
</content>
<attList>
<attDef ident="ed" mode="add">
<desc>indicates the edition or version in which the
change in columnar layout is located at this
point</desc>
<datatype>
<rng:ref name="data.code"/>
</datatype>
<!--<default value=""/>
<valList type="open"/>-->
</attDef>
</attList>
</elementSpec>
<elementSpec ident="ornament" mode="add">
<desc>for capturing typographical feature: printer's ornament,
horizontal line, strings of asterisks or periods, etc,
indicating an informal division that does not call for a
new &lt;div&gt; element. If a horizontal rule or
printer's ornament, use appropriate "type" attribute and
leave the element empty; if the ornament can be represented
with characters, set "type" value to "characters" and
include these in the element.</desc>
<classes>
<!--
ornament appears where figure can appear
-->
<memberOf key="model.inter"/>
<memberOf key="model.titlepagePart"/>
<memberOf key="model.common"/>