[tei-council] attribute names (was MD chapter revised: namespace rules)

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Apr 17 04:30:12 EDT 2007

Wittern Christian wrote:
> Daniel O'Donnell wrote:

>>> I believe consensus was that this was an 'unclean' change, and thus
>>> element and attribute are put in a user-defined namespace.
>>>

>> Indeed it was the consensus. And indeed if you added it to new elements
>> because you wanted to have a global type element, we seemed to think
>> that all types were my:type.
>>

> Well, things are moving so fast it becomes difficult to keep track.
> Say I want to add @type to p.  Does this mean my tei:p has to be
> changed to my:p?   This seems quite drastic to me.  It would be
> sufficient in my book simply to say @my:type  and leave p as tei:p.
>
> Christian

Well, as regards namespace, the options seems to be:

1. The line of least resistance: say that your schema is not in any
namespace (by saying ns="" on your <schemaSpec>)
2. The odour of sanctity: say that the attribute is new (by saying
ns="http://myspace.com" on the <attDef> in the <elementSpec> in your
<schemaSpec>)
3. Political correctness gone mad: say that the element is new (by
saying ns="http://myspace.com" on the <elementSpec> in your <schemaSpec>)

Of these three, I believe (but I'm not sure) that (2) and (3) are both
what we are currently calling "conformant", but obvious (2) makes more
sense.

We don't have a name for (1) yet.