[tei-council] quotation marks, quotes, etc.

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Apr 16 11:02:18 EDT 2007

Sorry, but I really do not agree with Syd on this issue, though I am
pleased that he thinks I do!

As I understand it, the proposal is to invent a new element, presumably
to join the already over-burdened Core module, for the purpose of
marking up representations of speech (but not thought) which are
considered (by someone) to be "part of the text", and not quoted from
somewhere else. It's less clear whether or not such representations are
necessarily typographically distinct in the original but that seems to
be relevant.

I don't doubt that for some people and some applications these
distinctions are important, and may even be useful, but I do doubt very
much whether Mr or Ms TEI-average-user will want to make them. In the
decade or more that people have been happily using <q> to mark
"representation of speech or thought", I am not aware of anyone having
the kind of major problem we are being told now exists. "representation
of speech or thought" is an inherently vague concept (after all, that's
what *all* text is!)  It's true that  some  feel we can distinguish "rep
of speech or thought" which is "internal" to a work from ditto when
presented as external, but that's why  we have both <q> and <quote>; I
am happy with the idea of promoting <quote> as the tag to use if you
want to make explicit that something is regarded as external, though I
don't believe it to be strictly necessary.

If you want to distinguish more finely within either of these elements,
the attributes are there: in particular, @type is there precisely to
indicate whether the material is "spoken" "thought" or "written", and
speech can be further subdivided according to  @direct.

So the best interpretation I can put on this proposal is that it is
arguing for a new bit of syntactic sugar. Less charitably, and to quote
our esteemeed Board chair, this looks like "a solution looking for a
problem". Hmm, should that have been a <q> or a <quote>? does what
someone says in an email count as <q> or <said> or what? aaargh!

Furthermore, I really don't think this is the most important issue for
us to be consulting with Mr and Mrs TEI Average User about right now.
They will say <said>not said but sad</said>...

Lou