[tei-council] @scheme datatype

Arianna Ciula arianna.ciula at kcl.ac.uk
Mon Apr 16 05:46:15 EDT 2007

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> what would @schema on <locus> point to?
>
> I see we have no example of its use :-}

mh...I don't agree with this. I can see lots of potential uses of
@scheme for <gi>locus</gi> as it is defined in the guidelines:
"identifies the foliation scheme in terms of which the location is being
specified.".

Indeed, as I am sure other people who have worked with manuscripts can
confirm, the same codex, for instance, can include several systems of
foliation/pagination added over the years and centuries, following
different readings, different arrangements of the folios, different
conventions, different interventions on the book itself. To encode these
parallelisms or conflicts between folio numbers can be useful to study
the tradition/reading of the text as well as to render various outputs
of the same source.

If you think another existing element can do the trick fine, but
otherwise I would keep @scheme.

Arianna

--
Dr Arianna Ciula