[tei-council] quotation marks, quotes, etc.

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Sun Apr 15 21:01:40 EDT 2007

> I don't much like <quo>. Its neither a word not a decent
> abbreviation in English, but has a meaning in Latin, which seems
> unwise.

Oh, good point about the Latin. According to one dictionary "quo" is
an archaic version of "quoth" (somewhat archaic itself), as in "Quoth
the the raven, 'Nevermore'". But I'm pretty sure that doesn't trump
the disadvantage of the Latin.

> <speech> and <spoken> are available but not perfect.
> <quotedSpeech>? oh, and <qs>, as an abbreviation for quoted speech

I don't wonder if <qs> looks to much like <ps>, which element I hope
to add next week. Probably not a good argument against.

How about
- <sot>: speech or thought
- <qst>: quoted speech or thought
- <said>: said

> I think that airing this on TEI-L next week, if people agree, would
> be no bad thing.

I agree.