[tei-council] MD chapter revised: namespace rules

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sat Apr 14 09:03:42 EDT 2007

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> I'd regard it as a luxury, but not that hard to do, I suppose.

True, further down the list than the other nice things.

> too right. its going to be a major pain.

Yup.

>> Current consensus seems to be that they should so they don't collide
>> with existing elements, etc.
> how can attributes collide with elements?

erm, typo, I meant attributes.  I.e. we don't want someone creating a
new attribute 'where' if possible because the TEI already defines one
(on <move>), and we want to avoid confusion if possible.  Obviously
@where added to tei:div and @where on tei:move are different, but since
this is an addition of something new to the TEI, it shouldn't be in the
the TEI namespace so should be @mynew:where.

> it seems to me that in XML world attributes are regarded differently,
> for instance in not being followed by default in XSLT. So
> I'd regard it as plausible to leave them alone, and let all
> attributes (including TEI ones) wallow in the default null mudpool

I think I need to look into that more before I can comment with any
assurance.

-James