[tei-council] dating attrs

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Fri Apr 13 11:57:44 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 11:40 -0400, Syd Bauman wrote:
> > att.isoDateTime, unfortunately
>
> If it's so unfortunate, perhaps the practice should change (in this
> case, to more closely resemble the naming practices of model
> classes).
>
> I thought you were going to complain that "dateTime" is not
> adjectival.

Since dating has come up, I'd like to ask a question that seems to have
got lost in our placename discussion: should we not have an @at
attribute as well as @from, @to, @notbefore and @notafter?

Fort Whoop Up near Lethbridge was founded not before 1869 (they were
rumrunners, so they didn't make an official announcement) and it washed
away in the flood of the Old Man river of 1915, though I don't know the
date, so notBefore="1869"/to="1915" are acceptable values.

Opening cermonies, however, happen at specific times and do not
represent a range. The North West Mounted Police arrived at Fort Whoop
Up on, let's say, November 11, 1874. If my placeEvent is that they
arrived (as opposed to that they arrived and stayed for a while), @from
is not really an appropriate attribute. Likewise with incorporations.

The birth element has @date for birth dates for exactly this reason.
Since people are not the only things that have exactlyAt events in their
lives, I wonder if we shouldn't have this as a generalisable attribute.

Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Department Chair and Associate Professor of English
Director, Digital Medievalist Project http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/
Chair, Text Encoding Initiative http://www.tei-c.org/

Department of English
University of Lethbridge